Saturday, December 23, 2006

Christmas...monkeys?

I hope everyone has a fantastic holiday! Eric & I started well by celebrating with his dad & family last night, and will continue to have good times with my mom & sisters in the utah for the coming days. I'm definitely looking forward to some well-earned time off, full of family and fun. I hope you all get what you are looking for as well! =)

I have run out of holiday-themed pictures. So instead, I will share with you this incredible experience Eric & I had in Belize with howler monkeys. If you ever find yourself near Belize City, I highly recommend a trip out to the sanctuary. It is amazing to be so close to the animals, and it is also an inspiring tale of how one person can make a difference. In 1985, Fallet Young (also our tour guide) with the help of an American Dr. Horwich, basically saved these monkeys from extinction by convincing farmers to become part of a coalition with simple rules that would preserve the monkeys habitat and food source. Fallet Young was just incredibly inspiring to be around, with his knowledge and resourcefulness, and also his humbleness about his accomplishments. He still works at the sanctuary, takes tourists into the woods, and loves his howler monkeys he worked so hard to protect.

Eating the banana upside down.

The most adorable little baby.

Eric and Fallet with the very hungry young male howler.

Eric entranced.

Eric & I asked to take a picture with Fallet so as to remember his accomplishments and awe-inspiring knowledge of the Belizean woods.

If you are looking for a good place for a charitable donation this holiday season, the sanctuary could definitely use your support!

No comments: