Sunday, May 25, 2008

Empty Rooms

Bear with me... I find myself a bit loquacious and introspective today...

Thank you all for the loving & supportive messages! It makes me rest a little easier knowing that I have so many folks to help me if I need them =) as we embark on the Great Twin Adventure. (That's how I've been thinking of it lately...all caps, like the title of a book or something!)

I have been enjoying this holiday weekend, even with the head-cold still lingering and Eric being away. It's always nice to have a chance to rest and recoup. Plus, I was able to have a wonderful afternoon catching up with friends (and their new little ones) while dinning on yummy bbq and many varieties of cheese (all pasteurized!! yay for brie).

However, as I woke this morning and wandered through the house, footfalls echoing through the empty rooms... I had a feeling of what can only be described as melancholy. As excited and thrilled as I am for all the changes (new house, new babies), I find myself a little sad too. Eric & I lived four happy years here in our little ranch house, with lots of great memories, and even though we aren't moving, it won't be the same house with the new upstairs. It certainly won't be the same once it is filled to the brim with toys & noise & babies too! I know this is going to be a great change, one we've fought hard to get, but just for right now, I have a nostalgic feeling for our newlywed years and the life we are leaving behind...

The empty front room.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, it is a big change. It will feel strange at first. BUT you are going to be a wonderful mother, Melissa, and Eric will be a terrific father. Melancholy reminiscing is good sometimes - to help adjust and recognize that change is on the way. (((HUGS))) Let me know if I can help in any way. I am always reluctant to say too much - I don't want to be the kind of mother in law who annoys everyone, but I am here if you need me in any way.

Catherine said...

You have a strong foundation (literally and metaphorically) to build the next part of your lives on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa! Matt and I are so excited for you and Eric. I can totally see you two as parents. I think alot of people have the kind of mixed emotions you wrote about. I definitely did, but it took me a long time to own up to them (even to myself) and that made things after Matty was born so much harder than they should have been.
I hope that doesn't sound too glum. Really, I think babies are wonderful!
Lauren